Monday, April 13, 2020

Greek Salad

Circuit Breaker Day 8: Greek Salad, Improvised 

Singapore imports 90% of our raw vegetables from overseas. Due to lockdowns abroad, our food supply chain has disrupted. Salad leaves on supermarket shelves are either brown, wilted, some even slimy.

Although I didn't have fresh lettuce or iceberg lettuce, I decided to make Greek salad anyway. What?! No lettuce in Greek salad? That's a cardinal sin! šŸ˜® Haha yes, but beggars can't be choosers. So I swapped with lettuce with bell peppers, and since I don't like olives, I replaced 'em with plums.

To my surprise, the improvised Greek salad was so appetizing! I could taste the freshness of every vegetable; the crunchy bell peppers and sweet tomatoes. I also liked how the feta cheese held the salad together. Yum! Exceeded my expectations.

Improvised Greek Salad during circuit breaker

Ingredients 

  • Greek feta cheese 
  • Greek black olives (improvised)
  • Iceberg lettuce (improvised)
  • Tomatoes 
  • Cucumber
  • Fresh herbs - oregano, coriander, mint, basil, chopped

For the dressing 
  • Extra virgin olive oil 
  • Balsamic vinegar (improvised)
  • Fresh lemon juice 
  • Garlic clove, crushed 
  • Salt and pepper 

Preparation 
  1. Make the dressing by whisking together the ingredients.
  2. Put lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and green pepper in a salad bowl.
  3. Scatter the cheese and toss around. 
  4. Pour over dressing over the salad and scatter chopped fresh herbs. 

The foodgasm verdict: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment