Saturday, May 30, 2020

Penang Asam Laksa

Day 53 Circuit Breaker: I've eaten enough bowls of Penang Laksa, to be able to cook without a recipe! 😂

Penang Asam Laksa ("laksa"). This is my ultimate favourite food and I've been very blessed to have enjoyed this throughout my life. Mom knows I love laksa and she'd cook for me whenever possible. It is her expression of love for me 😍, from Penang, Johor, Singapore, and even London! Disclaimer: laksa in London wasn't my request, but Alex's. 😇

When in Singapore, I usually satisfy my laksa cravings at Jason's Penang Cuisine (stall #01-12 at ABC Food Center). Jason's is my absolute favourite and trust me, they are the BEST in Singapore! In fact, whenever my date asks me where I'd like to eat, I won't hesitate dragging him here. Yup, the dating litmus test. To see if we're two peas in a pod when it comes to food.😁

I have been craving for laksa of late. But due to circuit breaker, it didn't make sense for me cab all the way to ABC Food Center (that would have cost me $50 to and fro). So I woke up today and decided to cook laksa. I realized I've not cooked laksa before. 😬 I was a little nervous, but that didn't stop me from trying.

The results? I was blown away! My laksa was close to mom's. I'm so pleased with myself. I realized it ain't rocket science and I could easily cook this again. I'm also starting to believe I can bedazzle any red-blooded man with my culinary skills. Game on! 😉

Tastes so good. This photo does not do justice at all. 

Ingredients 

Laksa mix
  • Galangal (a few slices)
  • Asam jawa 
  • Asam keping (a few slices)
  • Laksa leaves 
  • Chilli paste 
  • Belacan (pounded) 
  • 10 shallots (pounded) 
  • 3 lemon grass (pounded)
  • 4 fresh mackerel  
  • Salt  

Others 
  • Laksa noodle 
  • Lettuce 
  • Cucumber 
  • Mint leaves 
  • Pineapple 
  • Onion 
  • Prawn paste 
  • Torch ginger  
  • Bird's eye chilli

Preparation 
  1. Clean the fish with salt and running water. 
  2. Boil the fish and remove the bones. Keep as soup stock.
  3. Boil fresh pot of soup. Add soup stock and remaining soup ingredients. 
  4. Boil the laksa noodle. 
  5. Place the laksa noodle in a bowl and stack it up with vegetables, pineapple and onion. 
  6. Once the soup is boiling hot, scoop the soup into the bowl of noodle. 
  7. Add prawn paste, torch ginger, and bird's eye chilli. 
The foodgasm verdict: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment