Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Charity Bake Sale

My colleagues and I organized a bake sale to raise money for the Cambodian orphans. As you know, I've only baked once in my life and that was under mom's supervision. Yet, without hesitation, I created an order menu on the fly, took orders, and collected cash deposit. Fake it till I make it and yes, I shall deliver!

The next day, I borrowed recipe books and bought baking supplies with the deposit. Over the weekend, I baked my first few batches of cupcakes of different flavours. That evening, we were attending a friend's dinner gathering so I brought along the cupcakes. :) Our friends loved 'em all and they went home with doggy bags of cupcakes! The pilot run was a success!

The day before the charity sale, I took a day off and baked from morning till late night. Baking was pretty enjoyable and piping icing was even more fun. My friend Hui Hui popped by that evening. She helped to decorate the cupcakes and pack 'em into boxes.

We raised $1000+ from the bake sale. So proud of myself. :) I delivered what my heart set out to accomplish. Special thanks to my mom for her foresight gifting me the cake mixer, knowing I'd put it to good use someday. It was the best birthday gift ever! Thank you mom. 💖



Orange cupcakes (serves 18 cupcakes)

Ingredients
  • 250g caster sugar
  • 225g of unsalted butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup of warm milk
  • 280g self raising flour
  • A pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of butter oil
  • 4 teaspoons of orange zest
  • Paper cupcakes

Icing
  • 200g icing sugar
  • 70g butter
  • 30ml milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
  • 2 teaspoons of orange zest
  • A few drops of colouring as desired

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven at 160 degrees Celsius.
  2. Beat butter and sugar for 5 minutes until fluffy.
  3. Add eggs (with yolk), one at a time, and beat to combine.
  4. Sift the flour into a bowl and add the salt.
  5. Add flour and milk to the mixer, alternating flour and milk, one after another. 
  6. Then add butter oil and beat for 3 minutes.
  7. Scoop the batter into the paper cupcakes until 65% filled.
  8. Finally, bake mixture in preheated oven for 19 minutes or until well baked.
  9. Leave it to cool before icing.
  10. To make the icing, beat the icing sugar and butter until fluffy. 
  11. Add milk and vanilla essence, Mix to form creamy icing. Add colouring as you like. 
  12. Scoop icing into piping bag and pipe it onto the cooled cupcakes.
  13. Finally, add sprinkles and orange zest to decorate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment